Well, we are getting to the stage of the year when students have applied to universities and are starting to get ready for interviews. So I thought I would write a blog post for the future University students, all about interviews for university. This will be a series of blog posts, so I hope it will cover the type of interview you have.
I am starting with a virtual interview as this is one of the ones I had to do to apply to my backup university. When I was looking around to find out what to do I found there were hardly any information on it, so I felt this was important.
What the Heck is it?
This is the normal response to hearing about a Virtual interview however it is actually very simple. Your chosen university will send you a list of questions, the idea is that you record the answers to these questions and send the video back to the university admissions office.
What courses use this?
In my case this was used for a media related degree and I think that this is the most common use for this type of interview. However I think that it could also be used in Drama and Dance related degrees. The idea is that you will show your skills and confidence in front of the camera as well, in the case of media, your skills at editing together the footage.
My Key Tips
- Start thinking of your answers as soon as you receive the questions.
- Record in front of a blank background. A patterned background will distract from what you are saying.
- It is still an interview- Look presentable.
- Send it in recorded delivery and make sure there is more than enough time to get there.
- Get a friend/ family member to help record it.
- Make sure you edit them as professionally as possible, including the questions so they know what your answering.
- Show off your personality.
I am not sure if this is something I should continue, but I hope it helped some people. Back to normal posts later this week.
P.s. My friend Jess said that I only update my blog late at night, so I tried to be a little earlier!